Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Redefining social Internet networks

Facebook and Myspace might be growing at an incredible rate, but I believe they represent a very early manifestation of the future for on-line social networking.

One limitation of most social networks, like Facebook, is that they only exist on Facebook. That is to say, if I want to do any social networking, I have to leave whatever website I'm currently viewing, and log into the Facebook server, or at least open a new tab or browser window.

This is counter-intuitive to the natural social experience where we interact while engaging in other behavior, be it work or entertainment.

Google is already addressing this aspect of social networking with OpenSocial. By integrating social networking into regular navigation, people can connect and share information via common interests and "web proximity", just like people might meet and socialize in real life when engaging in common-interest activity.

I think the next step is to integrate web navigation and networking with physical proximity. Imagine portable Google-type maps that know where you are, tell you how to get where you want, what you can buy or do there, and if any of your friends or people you might want to meet are there too. Much of this already exists for products like the Iphone, but it isn't fully integrated into a single easy to use navigation function.

I'm imagining navigating Internet "geography" concurrently with physical geography. My wireless device accesses and presents information regarding things around my physical location; menus, traffic reports, breaking news, retail, friends, etc.

Some incipient "proxemic" and mobile networking technology:

"Bluedating" services like Serendipity.
Nintendo DS wifi gaming.
The iPhone 3G's maps with GPS.
Twitter

-Robot Crusoe

Note: I admit I'm still playing catch-up with some of this technology; now that I'm keeping this blog, I try to stay abreast of the latest and greatest things going on in mass communication; but there's always stuff I don't know. Don't hesitate to call attention to anything that you think is relevant.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crusoe- Nice insights to the nerdy world of social networking. I agree that Facebook is just the beginning because they haven't fully manifested how to use that site to make money for people other than Ruckerberg (the Facebook banner ads SUCK!).

I read a cool article once (and if it wasn't so early I'd find it and link to it) about an interface that would connect all your networks (so when I updated my Music Loves on Facebook, LinkedIn and MySpace would also get it). I think that's step one.