Friday, July 11, 2008

Data Portability

Previously, I discussed the next step in social networking; portable network identities that travel the web. This kind of networking depends on "data portability" and an infrastructure that allows it.

OpenID addresses the problems inherent in current social networking trends online and providing a foundation for data portability.

This video talks about data portability and developing technologies.

The accompanying article addresses hurdles to data portability, namely social sites like Facebook that claim ownership of all information that appears on their websites.

Data portability is the first step in establishing universal network identities. For example, if I logged into Open Social as Robot Crusoe; any website that I interacted with and anyone I interacted with on those websites would know me as Robot Crusoe and all the associated information I provided about myself. My on-line experience would be streamlined and I could take advantage of any networks without the need to create a new identity.

A side-effect of this experience is a degree of social accountability; which I discussed a few posts ago. If I rip someone off as Robot Crusoe on EBay then it would not only negatively impact my reputation there, but potentially other sites where someone might be interested in that information. Griefing someone in one on-line game could mean players in another might ostracise me. I would also be subject to social pressures; with a universal Internet identity comes a reputation that I may attempt to control by censoring the content that I share.

This will undoubtedly raise privacy concerns; Internet users are used to anonymity and may not take to greater social accountability.

I believe it will take an initiative as large as Google's Open Social to break the consolidated social networking paradigm. Whether Facebook will adapt and survive the transition remains to be seen.

-Robot Crusoe

No comments: