Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Wall E non-sequitor

I went to see Wall E with my girlfriend yesterday, and I couldn't help but think that someone at Pixar has been playing Portal; a game included in Valve's Orange Box.

The companion feature, Presto!, revolves around a set of magician's hats that mimic the function of Portal's proprietary "portal gun." Anyone who spent a lot of time playing the game (read: me) probably discovered half of the gags used in the film: throwing an object through a portal to have it hit you when gravity sends it back, using a portal to "catch" a falling player, etc.

I think Portal is one of the most innovative games I've played in a long time and it pleases me to know someone at Pixar probably thinks so too.

-Robot Crusoe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wall-E totally looks like the robot from "Short Circuit"... minus the cheesy 80's style of course

Unknown said...

You're not the first person I've heard compare Portal to that Pixar short. I was actually thinking that Valve and Pixar should get together and make a game or movie with each other, but seeing how Pixar is in bed with Disney who is totally devoted to having THQ piss all over their animated film properties, I'm not sure if that will ever happen.

By the way, I added you to my Blog Roll, you bi-atch.